The Institute of Biotechnology (erstwhile State Vaccine Institute established in 1903, transferred to the G.B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar on 19th October 2005) at Patwadangar is located on Delhi-Nainital highway 9 km before Nainital in the State of Uttarakhand in India at an average altitude of 1600 meter.
The Institute is well recognized in the area of hands on training programmes on frontier areas of biotechnology in which a number participants from diverse scientific fields like medical sciences, vet sciences, agriculture, biotechnology, immunology, etc participated belonging to almost all the states of country including J&K, Orissa, Punjab, Gujrat, MP, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Haryana, Delhi etc.
Biotech training in India is attending demand because of high promises in R&D ahead. Institutes providing biotechnology training and projects are back into focus creating awareness of practical implication in life science students. This Institute acquiring its importance in the field of quality training with modern facilities to the new generation manpower who can compete with international standards. The comprehensive trainings are designed to give the theoretical and practical skills needed for upgrading in specified areas.
The lectures are delivered by highly qualified eminent scientists from various institutions. Practical exposure is an integral part of academic curriculum of students pursuing their studies in biotechnology and allied fields of life sciences. Since most of the colleges/universities couldn’t provide sufficient practical exposure to their students, they can undergo training cum project work at IBT, Patwadangar on diverse frontier areas of biotechnology. Such trainings enhance the skills and confidence of a biotech student in acquiring job. Biotechnology training is most important requirement of students, researchers, scientists and personnel interested in carrying out life science research or who wish to carry Biological studies to make a carrier in life sciences or clinical research.
Objectives of GB Pant Institute of Biotechnology
- To produce important cell culture derived vaccines from available biotechnologies for fulfilling the needs of the society.
- To develop molecular diagnostics for important animal and human diseases.
- To characterize the available gene pools for added advantages of developing technologies and patenting of novel genes and promoters.
- To identify, isolate and clone useful gene pools that confer resistance to biotic and abiotic stresses and enhancement of nutritional quality.
- To harness the potential of genetic engineering to introduce new gene for value addition and molecular pharming of pharmaceutically important biomolecules.
- To generate trained and skilled manpower for industrial use through research and trainings and also to develop biotechnologies for patent claims.
Previous Training and Programmes in Institute of Biotechnolgoy
- Infections and intoxications transmissible from animals to man.
- PCR and Related Techniques.
- Role of Nanotechnology in Health and diseases.
- Vermibiotechnology and Organic Farming.
- Clinical research and its current scope.
- Histopathology and Immunohistochemistry.
- Different Types Electrophoresis.
- New Generation Techniques in Rabies Diagnosis.
- Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay And Related Techniques.
- Animal Cell Culture Techniques.
- Immunomodulation and immunological techniques.
- Chromatography Techniques.
One week Training Programme Training course fee: Rs. 2000/
One month to One year trainings and Project Work Training course fee: Rs. 5,000/- per month
Infrastructure facilities at Institute of Biotechnolgoy
- LABORATORY FACILITIES: The laboratories are specialized and equipped to conduct advanced research work. Some specialized laboratories include: Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Animal Cell Culture, Immunology, Bioprospecting Laboratory, Toxicology, Biochemistry etc. The laboratories are equipped with sophisticated equipments like Gel documentation system, CO2 Incubator, -8ooC Deep freezer, ELISA reader, Ultracentrifuge, Inverted Microscope, HPLC, UV—VIS Spectrophotometer (single and double beam), Themocycler, Electrophoresis systems (vertical and horizontal), Peptide synthesizer, Fluorescent Microscope, Biosafety cabinets, etc.
- THE LIBRARY AND NETWORKING FACILITIES: IBT has a good collection of Books with the latest in reference books, periodicals, journals and Newspapers. The newly inaugurated library is equipped with Computers and Xerox machine. The Institute has a advanced wireless system for data mining and networking purposes.
- GUEST HOUSE AND HOSTEL FACILITIES: Guest Houses comprise of five double bed rooms along with fully furnished living room, dining room & kitchen. These are exceptionally suitable for single person, couple & for a family. Guest Houses are also equipped with T.V. and DTH connection. Separate hostels are built in the campus for boys and girls. The hostel rooms in this campus can accommodate up to a total of 60 students.
- MEDICAL FACILITIES: The First Aid Centre is built in the campus to provide emergency medical support. A homeopathic hospital is also situated in the campus. In case of serious illness, the Susheela Tiwari Memorial Hospital at Haldwani can be approached which is about 40 km from this campus.
- SPORTS AND GAMES FACILITIES: The institute has the facilities for sports as well as recreational activities. The IBT Sports Ground is located at centre of the institute. Indoor game facilities are also available at Hostels. IBT has golf-course with spectacular view.
- TEMPLE AND SPIRITUAL CENTRE: The foundation of the temple was laid by Baba Neem Karoli in the 20th Century. The temple was extensively renovated and the Pran Pratishtha of idols of God was done on March 16, 2010, which provides spiritual flavor in campus/environment.
- TRANSPORT FACILITIES: Institute provides transport facilities to Haldwani/Nainital on nominal payment basis once/twice in a month.
Institute of Biotechnology Location
Patwadangar is located in Kumaon hills at a height of 1600 meters above sea level. Generally, climate remains cold and temperature never goes above 320 C in summer. While visiting this place, woolen clothes are often required. In winter, sometimes one can also see snowfall.
How to reach Institute of Biotechnology
Patwadangar is situated 9 km before the Nainital on Kathgodam – Nainital Highway (NH 87); from Highway (Baldiakhan bus stop), link road starts to Patwadangar which is situated at a distance of about 3 km. Kathgodam is well connected from Delhi, Kolkata, Dehradun through rail and road. The nearest airport is at Pantnagar which is about 50 km from Patwadangar. One can reach through rail at Kathogodam or by air at Pantnagar Airport and then onward journey can be performed through bus/taxi. Distances to major places: Nainital (12 km), Kathgodam (29 km), Haldwani (34 km), Lalkuan (49 km), Delhi (290 km), and Dehradun (335 km).