Hundreds of Uttarakhand SC/ST Employee Union members took out a rally from the Parade Ground to the Secretariat in support of reservation in promotions. Works in government offices, including Collectorate, directorates and secretariat, were paralysed as Officers/ Employees Teacher Sangharsh Morcha (OETSM) also protested at Parade Ground against reservation in promotions. Uttarakhand Kranti Dal- Progressive president Trivendra Singh Panwar reached the protest site and supported the demand of OETSM.
Meanwhile, police personnel were deployed at Secretariat in view of protest called by Government employees within the Secretariat premises. The employees were dispersed by the police when they tried to raise slogans against the State Government in support of their demands within the Secretariat campus. Despite the warning issued by the State Government to the employees that their salaries will be deducted on the principle of ‘no work no pay’ apart from which disciplinary action will also be ordered against those who abstain from work, most of them abstained from work on Monday.
A large number of protesters assembled at the Parade Ground and raised slogans against the State Government. Later, they took out a rally, but were stopped by the police at the barricading outside Secretariat.
The protesters blocked the traffic for more than two hours at different places in the city while rallying towards the secretariat.
The association president Hari Singh said that there should not be ex-cadre in promotions for SC/ST in government jobs and vacant reserved seats for SC/ST should be filled by the government immediately.
Meanwhile, Dehradun District Magistrate Ravinath Raman said that around 25 per cent Government employees attended office while remaining 75 per cent were absent.
Action will be taken against Government employees who abstained from work on Monday.
All steps including deployment of police personnel at important places have been taken so that the protesters do not take the law in their own hands, he added.
Src: Daily pioneer