The Baleshwar Temple is built on South Indian sclupture
and architecture with magnificent Stone Carving works.
The temple is believed to be built by Raja Somchand,
the first king of the Chand Dynasty. Champawat was the
capital of Chand rulers. In 1568, the capital was shifted
to Almora. In early 17th century, the Mughals captured
Champawat and destroyed the Baleshwar temple.