In the state of Uttaranchal, Yamunotri district is famous for abundant beauty and charm at an altitude of 3235 m. District shares its boundary with China and covered by lofty Himalayan peaks. This is the newly proposed district of the state by former Chief Minister Mr. Ramesh Pokhariyal. Snow-clad mountains to tranquil water lakes, this place is a delight for travelers, adventure seekers, nature lovers and those who are searching seclusion. Yamunotri offers picturesque surroundings with awesome shrubs, lush meadows and thermal springs.
The prime attraction of the region is Yamunotri Temple, inviting thousands of devotees every year. Besides, Yamunotri is a true heaven for wildlife activities. But the place demands a lot of courage and stamina to reach.
Yamunotri District Stats
- Languages: Hindi, Garhwali
- Altitude: 3235 m
- Best Season: Apr – Oct
Places to Visit in Yamunotri District
- Yamunotri Temple: Yamunotri is one of the Char Dham and it is also first place to visit in the Char Dham Circuit. Thousands of devotees visit the sacred shrine of Yamunotri temple every month from May to October.
- Janki Chatti: It is the midpoint of the trek to Yamunotri which is accessible by jeeps. Janki Chatti is situated 7 kms before Yamunotri and this place is popular for thermal springs.
- Surya Kund: There are many natural thermal springs in Yamunotri of which Surya Kund is renowned. The water of Surya Kund has a surprising temperature of 1900F. Pilgrims tie potatoes and rice to cook it by immersing it under water of Surya Kund. After cooking it is served as ‘prasad’.
- Hanuman Chatti: It is the commencement point of the trek to two popular destinations Yamunotri and Dodi Tal. Yamunotri is situated 13km from Hanuman Chatti which has to be covered by foot or on ponies.
- Barkot: Barkot has an ancient temple and it is situated 49km from Yamunotri.
- Dodi Tal: According to mythology Lord Ganesha was born in this place. This mysterious lake is situated at an elevation of 3,307mts above sea level surrounded by dense forests of deodar, oak and rhododendrons.
How to reach Yamunotri
- By Air: Jolly Grant Airport is the nearest Airport to Yamunotri situated at a distance of 210kms. Jolly Grant Airport is well connected to Delhi with daily flights. Hanuman Chatti is directly not connected by motorable roads with Jolly Grant Airport. Taxis are available from Jolly Grant Airport to Hanuman Chatti.
- By Rail: The nearest railway stations to Yamunotri are Rishikesh and Dehradun. Dehradun railway station is situated 175kms from Yamunotri and Rishikesh railway station is situated 200kms before Yamunotri on NH58. Rishikesh and Dehradun are well connected by railway networks with major destinations of India. Trains to Rishikesh are frequent. Hanuman Chatti is well connected by motorable roads with Rishikesh and Dehradun. Taxis and buses are available from Rishikesh, Tehri Garhwal, Uttarkashi and Barkot and many other destinations to Hanuman Chatti.
- By Road: Yamunotri is directly not connected with motorable roads and the trek commences from Hanuman Chatti. Hanuman Chatti is well connected by motorable roads with major destinations of Uttarakhand state. Buses to Rishikesh are available from ISBT Kashmiri Gate. Buses and Taxis to Hanuman Chatti are easily available from major destinations of Uttarakhand state like Rishikesh, Dehradun, Tehri, Uttarkashi, Barkot etc.