Haldwani is one of the biggest business center of Uttaranchal especially Kumaon. In Kumaoni, Haldwani is known as Halduvani. The name "Haldwani" is derived after the tree name "Haldu" which were found in abundance here.
In 1815, after the Britishers defeated Gorkhas, Gardner was appointed as the Commissioner of Kumaon. Later on Gerorge William Trail took over as Commissioner. In 1834 Trail renamed Halduvani as Haldwani.
The place near Haldwani Gaura Padav is named so because the Britishers were the first to settle at this place. In 1856, Henry Raemjay took over as Commissior of Kumaon. He connected Nainital with Kathgodam by Road in 1882. In 1883-84, Railway line between Bareilly and Kathgodam was laid down. On 24 April 1884, train arrived at Haldwani from Lucknow. Later on railway line was extended to Kathgodam.
The Arya Samaj Bhavan was Built in 1901 and Sanatan Dharm Shaba in 1902. The Tehsil office was opened in 1899. In 1907 Haldwani got the status of town area.
Haldwani-Kathgodam Municipal Council was established on 21 sept 1942, then it was 4th category MC it's the second largest Municipal Council after Haridwar as per population.
Population of Haldwani, 1931 Census : 11,288
|Uttaranchal :: Uttarakhand :: About
Us :: Advertise :: Resource Centre :: Contact
Us :: Site
Nainital Hotels :: Mussoorie Hotels :: Rishikesh Hotels :: Haridwar Hotels :: Dehradun Hotels :: Kausani Hotels :: Ranikhet Hotels :: Corbett Hotels
www.euttaranchal.com. All rights reserved (c) 2012 - 2013