The Department of Botany was started in the year 1973 with the establishment of HNB Garhwal University, Srinagar. At present the Botany Department is well equipped to import undergraduate and postgraduate teaching. The Department is also carrying out in diversified fields particularly related with the Himalayan environment and conservation.
Courses at PG level in Botany, Garhwal University
- Microbiology, Mycology and Plant Pathology
- Phycology, Lichens and Bryophyte
- Pteridophyta, gymnosperms and Palaeobotany
- Taxonomy and Diversity of Seed Plants
- Plant Resource Utilization and Conservation
- Plant Development and Reproduction
- Plant Physiology and Metabolism
- Plant Ecology and Remote Sensing
- Cytology, Genetics and Molecular Biology
- Plant Breeding and Bioststistics
- Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering of plant and Microbes
Special Courses (optional Paper – any one of the following)
- Biodiversity and Conservation
- Forest Ecology
- Remote Sensing – Techniques and Applications
- Plant Health Management
- Current Trends in Microbiology
- Tree biology
Herbarium and Ethnobotany Museum
The Botany Department of Garhwal University has moderate Herbarium representing the vascular plants of the Himalayan region. The Herbarium is recognized by International Association of Plant Taxonomists and assigned the acronym GUH. It has collection of about 20,000 specimens representing the peculiar plants of diversified habitat of Himalaya including alpine zone.
The Ethnobotanical Museum housed several plant products of local values.
There is a good collection of folk medicinal, fiber, timber and other miscellaneous plants. The Department is keen in developing a Botanical Garden at the New Campus.
Research Publications in Botany Department of Garhwal University
- More than 500 research publications in National and International
- Journals, pertaining to following broad categories
- Taxonomy and Etnobotany
- Environmental aspects
- General Vegetation and Conservation
- Fire Ecology
- Physiology and Ecology of High Altitude Plants
- Seed Biology
Award of Doctor of Philosophy
More than 130 students have obtained the Ph. D. Degree from the Department.
Award of Young Scientist
- Dr. Bhupendra Singh Bhandari- Vegetation interaction in relation to forest fire in Garhwal Himalaya (2003-06)
- Dr. Girja Prasad – Geospatial Modeling for Habitat Evaluation of Musk deer (Moschus chrysogastres Hodgson) (2004-07).
Public Services by Botany Department of HNB Garhwal University
The faculty members are associated with various NGO’s as an expert to guide various aspects of eco-development specially related to vegetation and conservation
- The Department Herbarium provides facilities to various Institutions, NGO’s, and individuals- social workers and research scholars for identification of plants.
- Members of the Department also provide information about the availability of resources and proper method for their sustainable utilization.
Garhwal University Campus
- Srinagar, Pauri Garhwal
- Pauri, Pauri Garhwal
- Tehri, Tehri Garhwal