The department of Defence and Strategic Studies was established in 1978 by Garhwal University, Srinagar (Garhwal) to achieve the following objectives:
- Promotion and development of military education in Garhwal region and creation of awareness about National Security among students
- Providing access to high quality education concerning Defence and Strategic Studies to the intending students seeking admission at B.A./B.Sc. and M.A./M.Sc. levels.
- Promoting research in National security and related fields.
Courses Available in Defence and Strategic Studies in Garhwal University
The structure of Under Graduate and Post Graduate Courses is based and designed on various areas of National Defence. The contents have been developed in response to the recommendations of the U.G.C,. in view of providing necessary knowledge and understanding at the level of higher education in the discipline concerned.
Courses: B.A. (Bachelor in Arts) and B.Sc (Bachelor in Science)
Duration: Three Year Degree Course
Courses: M.A. (Masters in Arts) and M.Sc. (Masters in Science)
Duration: Two year P.G Course
Course: P.G. Diploma in Military Studies and Defence Management
Duration: One Year Course ( Only for Indian Military Academy, Dehradun Cadets )
Course: P.G. diploma in Defence Studies and Border Management
Duration: One Year Course ( Only for I.T.B.P. Academy Mussoorie (Dehradun) Cadets )
Achievements of the Department of Defence and Strategic Studies in Garhwal University
- Defence Department of Garhwal University has produced 80 research papers and 24 books.(Published by Prof. L.J. Singh) Special award by the Ministry of Defence for the book “The Impact of War in International Relations Since 1945
- 35 Students awarded D.Phil. Degree.
- 90% Students (UG and PG) have gone into different types of jobs, such as lectureship, P.C.S. and in Armed Forces.
Many Books and Publications from Defence Department
- The Study of War
- Indian Military History & Principle of War
- Regular Law of Irregular War
- Nature of War and North African Campaign
- Ramayan Kalin Yudh kala
- Indian Ocean Tension and Relaxsation
- National Security
- Kautilya Philosophy of War
- Problems of War and Piece
- Western Military History
- Western Military History & Art of Warfare
- Defence Machenism of Modern State
- The Impact of War on International Relations Since 1945.
- Military Thinkers
- World Piece and Armament
Garhwal University Campus
- Srinagar, Pauri Garhwal
- Pauri, Pauri Garhwal
- Tehri, Tehri Garhwal