The Department of Environmental Sciences was established in HNB Garhwal University by the University Grants Commission, New Delhi under its ‘Emerging Areas Programme’ in the year 1994 for quality teaching and research. The Department started M.Sc. and D.Phil. in Environmental Sciences in the same year. The University Grants Commission, New Delhi has also assigned the duty of conducting environmental extension works to the Department.
The Department of Environmental Sciences has been acting as a Resource Centre for other institutions and industries located in the Uttarakhand as expected by UGC, New Delhi. The Department is known for its high profile teaching which is evidenced by the fact that it has produced eleven batches of M.Sc. Environmental Sciences with the distinction that every student secured first division.
More than 95% students of Environmental Sciences have got jobs in various capacities in various organizations (WWF, India; Forest Research Institute, Wildlife Institute of India, Indian Institute of Petroleum, Defense Research and Development Organization, Himalayan Institute of Medical Sciences, Cement, J.K. Cement, Swajal; Bajaj Autos, Central Pollution Control Board, National Highway Authority, G.B. Pant Institute of Himalayan Environment and Development, Tehri Hydro Development Corporation, Tata Consultancy and Centre for Environmental Education, India, in addition to Lecturers in Higher Education and Scientists in research institution).
The course is conducted according to UGC guidelines with continuous assessment, seminars, group discussions, tutorials and computer assisted teaching as regular features. UGC has introduced NET examination in Environmental Sciences only in the year 1999. The Department has made a national distinction in NET examination, as a total of 09 students have qualified within a short period of time. Complying with the Supreme Court’s order and successive instructions of the UGC, University has introduced foundation course in Environmental Sciences for all under-graduates of all branches, as a compulsory course. The Department is all set to introduce short-term courses on Environmental Economics, Environmental Management, Solid waste Management, Road Construction and Environment.
Courses Available in Department of Environmental Science in Garhwal University
- M.Sc. Environmental Sciences
- D.Phil. Programme in Environmental Sciences
- UGC Core Module Course for all under-graduates
Course: M Sc (Masters in Science)
Admission Procedure: Merit based on the marks of graduation (100%), 10+2 (10%) and High School (10%) plus other weightage according to University norms. Minimum: 55% for General Category; 50% for SC/ST or OBC.
Course: D. Phil (Doctorate in Philosphy)
Short-term diploma courses (likely to start):
- Environmental Management
- Environmental Economics
- Integrated Solid waste Management
- Road Construction and Environment
Awards/Distinctions Conferred upon the Faculty
- Conferred Fellowship of Society of Biosciences (FSB) on 26.3.1996.
- Conferred Fellowship of the Zoological Society of India (FZSI) on 21.06.200
- Natcon Environment Gold Medal Award 2002
- Congress of Zoology Gold Medal 2002 of the Zoological Society of India.
- Conferred Fellowship, Academy of Sciences for Animal Welfare (FASc), Animal Welfare Board, MOEF, Govt. of India (2002)
- Associate, Academy of Sciences for Animal Welfare, Animal Welfare Board, MOEF, Govt. of India (2002)
- Bestowed “Environmentalist of the Year Award 2003” of the National Environmental Science Academy, New Delhi
- Bestowed “Recognition Award Gold Medal 2004” the highest Award of the Zoological Society of India.
- Conferred Indira Gandhi National Environment Award on June 7, 2005.
Garhwal University Campus
- Srinagar, Pauri Garhwal
- Pauri, Pauri Garhwal
- Tehri, Tehri Garhwal