Brief: Uttarakhand famous, well known traditional dish Bhattwani is prepared from Pahari Bhatt Dal (Black Beans) powder.
- Bhatt ki Dal (Black Beans) – 1 cup
- Oil – 1/2 cup ( preferably mustard oil)
- Garlic – 4 to 5 cloves
- Cummin seeds – 1 tsp
- Black pepper – 4 nos.
- Red chillies whole – 4 to 5
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Dry coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red chillies powder – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- Place an iron frying pan (Kadhai) on a moderate flame. Put Bhatt Ki Dal (Balck Beans) in it and roast it without oil for about 3 to 5 minutes or till the pleasant aroma of roasted seeds comes. Do not over cook it. Take off the flame. Grind the roasted seeds into a coarse powder.
- Heat oil in the Kadahi and add garlic cloves.When the garlic turns light brown, add cumin seeds, red chillies, black pepper, and heeng (asafoetida)
- Immediately add the daal powder and fry it for 1-2 minute or so. Add turmeric powder, dry coriander powder, red chillies powder, salt and water. Bring it to boil.
- Cover and Cook till the daal becomes very soft. Simmer for 20-30 minutes. Before taking off the heat, sprinkle garam masala over Bhatwani.
- Garnish with pure ghee and chopped coriander leaves. Serve with hot steamed rice.