Brief: Thechwani can be prepared using radish root (pahari mula having round root) or potatoes. The preparation is called by this name as the radish root or potato is never cut, but crushed (thinchao) into pieces.
- Radish root – 3 to 4
- Potato – 1
- Oil or Ghee – 2 tblsp
- Garlic – 4 to 5 cloves
- Ginger – 3 cm piece
- Onion-1 medium chopped
- Tomato- 1 medium and chopped
- Dry Faran or Cummin seeds – 1 tsp
- Red chillies whole – 4 to 5
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Dry coriander powder – !/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chillies powder – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 6 cups
- Salt to taste
- Wash and peal the radish and potatoes and crush them into small pieces. Crush also ginger and garlic.
- Heat oil in the frying pan on a moderate flame. Stir-fry crushed garlic and ginger in the hot oil. Add crushed radish and potato. Fry the mix for 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Add cummin seeds, red chillies, asafoetida in the remaining oil, add chopped onion and fry till light brown. Put turmeric powder, dry coriander powder, red chillies powder. Fry for few seconds. Add fried vegetable and chopped tomatoes and salt and some water.
- Boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Add remaining water and pressure cook or cook on a slow fire for about 30 minutes or till the radish becomes soft.
- Garnish with corriander leaves and green chillies (slit apart into two pieces).