To increase the opportunities of employment and to up-lift the social and economic condition of rural people in state Uttarakhand Govt. establish a separate department called Sericulture for the wide extension of sericulture in Uttarakhand. Sericulture is the the production of silk and the rearing of silkworms for this purpose. The department was establish by govt of Uttarakhand in 2001 under the Ministry of Horticulture. Uttarakhand state is the only state which is producing all four kind of cocoon viz Mulberry, Oak tasar, Muga and Ericulture. Because of its high quality Bivoltine cocoons of International grade, Uttarakhand is known as the “Bowl of Bivoltine silk in India”.
Why Uttarakhand is the best place for investing in Sericulture?
- This newly created Uttarakhand state has a long traditional and great history of silk production.
- Uttarakhand state is the only state which is producing all four kind of cocoon viz Mulberry, Oak tasar, Muga and Ericulture.
- For its high quality Bivoltine cocoons of International grade, Uttarakhand is known as the “Bowl of Bivoltine silk in India”.
- Climate condition of Uttarakhand are suitable for high quality of bivoltine silk.
- The temperature and relative moisture range from 4.5 c to 40.0 c and 26% to 95% in the state respectively. Average rainfall is about 1800 mm and 80% rainfall is found between June and September. Maximum rainfall occurs during July while natural climatic conditions during April, May, September and October are must suitable for Mulberry and Oak tasar silkworm rearing.
- Availability of mulberry trees on bunds and courtyards of farmer.
- Availability of natural grown food plants.
- Good research and seed production base and infrastructure of Central Silk Board in the state.
- Availability of cocoon market and reeling units.
- Availability of sericulture societies, SHGs, NGOs etc.
- Department of Sericulture Uttarakhand has engaged various NGO in different district of Uttarakhand to run sericulture projects for over all growth mulberry silk industry in the state as well as employment generation to the rural people.
Objective of Sericulture Department
- Generating opportunities of employment in rural areas of Uttarakhand.
- Providing training and inputs supports to improve managerial and technical skills.
- Exploration of locally available natural grown silkworm host plant for economic development of rural mass.
- Increasing the participation of women and BPL families in sericulture development programme.
- To ensure complete and holistic development of sericulture in the state.
Initiatives by Govt to promote Silk sector:
- Promotion of “Vanya Silks”.
- Promotion of farm to fabric concept/activities for value addition.
- Consultancy of Chinese experts for qualitative and quantitative improvement of sericulture.
- Establishment of silk park for promotion of post cocoon activities.
- Extension of sericulture programme on cluster approach.
- Strengthening of govt. silk farm specially of upper hills.
Ongoing Projects of Sericulture Department of Uttarakhand
- Special Swarn Jyanti Gram Sawroojgar Yojna
- Development of Ericulture and Muga silk in the district of Nainital
- Development of Ericulture and mlberry in Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand
- Cluster Development Projects