Indian Institute of Petroleum is one of the leading constituent laboratories of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), India, situated in Dehradun, the capital of Uttarakhand.
Indian Institute of Petroleum (IIP) was established through an act of parliament in the year 1959, it started functioning initially at New Delhi in 1960 and finally at Dehradun since 1963. In pursuit of excellence it sought initial organisational help from Institut Francais du Petrole (IFP), France, the world renowned petroleum research organisation, under UNESCO programme during 1960 to 1964.
IIP is an ISO 9001 certified Institute since 1998, it is devoted to multidisciplinary areas of Research and Development in the downstream sector of hydrocarbon and related industry. The Institute has continued its efforts to grow into an internationally renowned R&D organisation, providing quality research and innovative technologies for the national and international market place.
Indian Institute of Petroleum has a strong infrastructure support for R&D activities and state-of-the-art facilities for analysis, evaluation and testing of crude oil, petroleum products, chemicals and catalysts.
Technical assistance and consultancy is provided to refineries on various refining operation and related activities. Chemical analysis by state-of-the-art equipment and performance evaluation of petroleum products is conducted on standard engines. Lubricating oil, additives fuel, fuel saving additives and devices are evaluated by field trials. Testing and evaluation of fuels and oils for emission type approval, octane / cetane rating of gasoline/diesel fuel and rating of engine components is provided. IIP provides engine oil qualification certificates against BIS specifications.
About Indian Institute of Petroleum:
- It has dedicated experienced and qualified staff of R&D Scientists and supported by highly skilled technical personnel.
- It is equipped with comprehensive state-of-the-art R&D facilities including pilot plants.
- Annual budget of the Institute is currently about Rs 18 Crores.
- Institute is recognised by many Indian Universities to conduct research leading to Doctorate degree in chemical science and engineering subjects.
Achievements of Indian Institute of Petroleum
- Institute has developed a large number of processes and technologies. Thirty eight technologies having licensed capacity around 25 million tonnes per anum transferred to the industry.
- Almost every refinery in the country has technologies licensed by the institute.
- Test techniques developed for evaluation of petroleum products included in BIS specifications.
- Established global tie-ups for contract research and technical services.
- The intellectual property rights protected with the patents filed and sealed in India and abroad.
- Based on the research work conducted in the Institute PhD degrees awarded to about fifty research fellows and Scientists of the Institute by various Universities.
- A large number of research paper published in reputed International and National journal.
- Bestowed with many prestigious awards in recognition of excellence in various fields.
On the mutually agreed terms and conditions, the technology is licensed to industry either on royalty basis or one-time cost basis. Within the scope of the license of the IIP Process granting the right to use IIP’s know-how, IIP ensures:
- The supply of all the required documents (Basic Engineering package)
- The full training of licensee’s personnel in IIP’s facilities
- All necessary assistance, if requested for the start up of the licensee’s plant
- The disclosure if requested of all future improvements of the IIP Processes
Analytical Services in Indian Institute of Petroleum
Fully equipped with state-of-art facilities and expertise, the Institute provides analytical support to industry. Following is an indicative list of the Analytical Services being vided:
- Short and detailed assay of crude oil.
- Hydrocarbon type analysis of different petroleum products.
- Trace metal analysis of petroleum and related products.
- Characterisation of catalyst, cokes and pitches.
- Analysis of Bitumen and Bituminous material.
- Elemental Analysis.
- Characterisation of Lubricating oil and fuel.
Evaluation Services in Indian Institute of Petroleum
Various petroleum products are evaluated for their performance by using state-of-art testing machines as well as by field trials. Some of evaluation services by IIP are:
- Evaluation of Domestic heating and lighting appliances.
- Field evaluation of lubricating oil.
- Performance evaluation of industrial lubricants and grease by tribological techniques.
- performance evaluation of fuel saving devices.
- Evaluation of NGL and condensates
- Evaluation of lubricating oil and fuel additives including multi fractional additives
- Evaluation of fuel oil additives for combustion performance and burner choking tendency
- Evaluation of fire resistant characteristics by hydraulic fluids
- Evaluation of lubricity of Diesel
- Evaluation of bio degradability of lubricants
Technical Services in IIP
- Trouble shooting of units of Refinery, Petrochemicals and Chemical Industry.
- Contract Research.
- Techno economic feasibility and market studies for hydrocarbon sector.
Indian Institute of Petroleum is authorised for certification of following:
- Type approval and certification of CNG vehicles portable gensets and emission measurement instruments.
- Certification of engine oils for defence application
Types of Training Programme in Indian Institute of Petroleum
- Regular Training Programmes (For GET or new entrants)
- Advance Training Programmes (For Senior Management Level personnel)
- Special Training Programmes (For Middle Management Level personnel)
- Programmes on Specific Topics
Contact Address of Indian Institute of Petroleum for 2020 Admissions, 2020 Results and other Information related Exam Dates 2020
Notice: Undefined variable: this_post_id in /home/eutta2/public_html/wp-content/themes/eua-v3/single-institutes.php on line 142