The Rashtriya Indian Military College or the RIMC is a prestigious public School for boys situated in the beautiful Doon Valley, Dehradun in India. The original name of the School was Prince of Wales Royal Indian Military College but it was re-named after 1947.
The RIMC enjoys a great tradition as a feeder institution for the National Defence Academy and subsequently the Indian Armed Forces. Rimcollians, the name by which alumni of the RIMC are usually denoted, have gone on to hold the highest ranks in the Army, Navy and the Air Force of India.
History of Rashtriya Indian Military College Dehradun
The RIMC was established in 1922 by the British Empire for training native Indian cadets for entry into the Royal Military Academy, Students then trained as officers of the British Indian Army.
Rashtriya Indian Military College Dehradun Facilities
- Library: The school has a library named after the legendary Old Boy, Major Somnath Sharma, who has posthumously bestowed the first Param Vir Chakra, the highest Gallantry Award in 1948, has a collection of over 18000 books, journals, magazines, and some rare priceless manuscripts.
- Computer Centre: RIMC, though an old institution steeped in tradition, does not lag behind in this age of Information Technology. Two labs, equipped with the latest hardware and software, provide ample opportunity for learning and developing computer skills. The new, state of the art Learning Resource Centre further augments the facilities for IT and the library.
- Swimming: Cadets get a chance to participate in various Inter School, Inter Section, District Level Swimming Competition. The college has a full Olympic Size Swimming Pool, with a 10 mts Diving platform.
- Horse Riding: Cadets participate in various levels of competitions. The college has 19 equines with well-trained instructors. The full-fledged jumping arena add up an extraordinary platform for the riders.
Admission Procedure in RIMC Dehradun
Approx 25 cadets are admitted every six months. Candidates should not be less than 111/2 years of age or must not have attained the age of 13 on 01 (Jan) or 01 (July) of the term they join. Admissions are made to Class VIII only. The candidate must be studying in Class VII or have passed class VII from a recognized school at the time of joining.
Application forms are to be submitted to respective State Governments. Candidates are selected on the basis of their performance in an All India Entrance Examination held twice a year comprising a written examination consisting of question papers in English (125 marks), Mathematics (200 marks) and General Knowledge (75 marks), Successful candidates are called for Viva-Voce test (50 marks).
Admissions are made to class I (equivalent to class VIII) only. The candidates should be studying minimum in class VII in a recognized school at the time of admission to the RIMC. They should also be medically fit for entry to the College, in accordance with the medical standards prescribed. Generally, one vacancy per state is allocated. However, some states with have a large population, have up to 2 vacancies.
The prospectus cum application form and booklet of old question papers can be obtained from the Rashtriya Indian Military College, Garhi Cantt, Dehradun, Uttarakhand Pin Code 248003 through Speed Post by forwarding self-addressed slip and an account payee Bank Demand Draft of Rs 600/- for general Candidates Rs 555/- for ST/SC candidates along with Caste Certificate. The Demand Draft will be made in favor of “THE COMMANDANT RIMC DEHRADUN”, BRANCH SBI TEL BHAWAN, DEHRADUN BANK CODE 01576, UTTARAKHAND. The address should be typed/written clearly in capital letters with pin code and contact number. RIMC will not be responsible for any postal delay and loss in transit of prospectus caused by illegible or incomplete address.
1. The application forms issued by the RIMC only shall be valid. Locally printed/ photocopied and without RIMC hologram(Seal) forms shall not be accepted.
2. No refund of the application fee on any condition