St. Joseph’s Academy, Dehradun is a high School in Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India. It was founded in 1934 and is governed by the members of the Patrician Brothers’ Institute. And it is known to be one of the best and oldest Schools of Dehradun. Today, it has over 3400 students, 120 teachers and about 40 ancillary staff on roll.
St. Joseph’s Academy, located in the heart of the Doon Valley in a sprawling seventeen acres campus was established by the Patrician Brothers on 2nd March 1934. Beginning with a mere 15 students and 7 staff members and under the guidance of Bro. Adrian Keogh, the first principal, and a community of Brothers, the school grew rapidly, acquiring the status of a premier educational institution of Dehradun. Today, the school caters to about 3850 students, 140 teachers and about 60 ancillary staff with state – of- art facilities, ample space, and the most desirable educational ambiance.
Curriculum in St. Josephs Academy, Dehradun
The school year, which begins in April, comprises of two terms: April to September / October to March. The course of studies followed leads to
- Indian Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (Class X, ICSE) and
- Indian School Certificate Examination (Class XII, ISC)
Facilities in St. Josephs Academy
- Laboratories: The school has computers, Physics, Biology, Chemistry as well as English Spoken Language Lab. The laboratories are well ventilated and equipped with the latest apparatus and equipment.
- Library: SJA has two libraries, one for the junior section of classes 1 – 5 and another for the senior section of classes 6 – 12. There are different books in the library that the students can consult and make academic notes from. They also learn about morals and virtues by reading the best books from around the world.
- Digital Classrooms: The school has a “Smart Class” facility to make teaching and learning a pleasure, and adding ease of access to the process. Smart Class facilities are installed in all 73 classrooms of the school.
- Sports Facility: SJA Has a big playground for all the students. SJA proudly boasts of its enormous field where three football matches can be played simultaneously. At SJA, Sports Day is celebrated with a lot of pomp and show which is remembered throughout the year. Our teams in various sports have represented the school in various events around the country and brought us accolades. This school has also produced famed athletes and sportspersons who have made the school proud.
- Auditorium: The spacious Auditorium of SJA can accommodate more than 1200 students at the same time. Our Auditorium remains a venue for all school events, functions, seminars, conferences, social meetings, etc. The Auditorium was inaugurated by the late Mother Teresa in the year 1984. It has also been graced by various eminent personalities over the years.
- Audio-Visual Room: The Audio Visual Room of SJA is a state-of-the-art facility that has the capacity to seat about 150 people. This Resource room can be used to present PowerPoint Presentations, hold seminars, show plays, etc.
- Infirmary: The school has, in its campus, an infirmary with all the supplies and medicines that may be required, in the case of a student falling ill or an accident. The infirmary is stocked with all basic medicines and all other required facilities; all of this is the under-qualified staff.
- Canteen: St. Joseph’s Canteen, named by the students as ‘Café 10’, is a popular place where students meet and interact over steaming cups of tea/coffee, fruit juice, spicy chaat, pastries, cakes, etc. The canteen proprietor is a warm and efficient person to interact with.
No child less than 3 years of age or more than 4 years of age by the beginning of the academic year will be admitted to L.K.G. The course of study / the stream in class XI is not automatic. The choice of group (Science / Commerce) and the subject shall be offered to the students on the basis of their performance in the ICSE examinations. The criteria or the cut-off percentage will vary from year to year, depending upon the overall results of the students in the relevant subjects in the ICSE Examination.
The School Management reserves to itself, the right to admit or refuse pupils seeking admission to the school without furnishing any reasons whatsoever. Similarly, the management decides when the question of retaining a student in the class arrives.
A parent or a guardian of a new student seeking admission to LKG (Nursery) must note that the following attachments are necessary at the time of registration:
- Copy of the (Municipal Board / Cantonment Board / Gram Parishad Birth Certificate. For Christians, a copy of the Baptismal Certificate is also to be attached. (Certificates issued by Nursing Homes / Hospitals will not be accepted.)
- Two recent passport size photographs of the child.
- One recent passport size photograph of the child with his / her parents.
- A certificate from a registered medical practitioner stating the child’s physical condition and dates of immunization against infectious or contagious diseases and indicating allergies or recurring illnesses, if any, along with a photocopy of the immunization card.
- A self-addressed stamped envelop with the child’s name and address clearly written on it.