Didihat is the newly proposed district in the state of Uttaranchal Kumaon division currently in the boundaries of Pithoragarh district. This small but beautiful region is known for pilgrimage sites, especially Sherakot temple other than the pristine sceneries offered by natural surroundings. Didihat was ruled by Chand Rulers and different forts and temples of the durations narrate stories about that rich period in it.
The district of Didihat has another importance being the pathway for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra. Didihat is rich in flora and fauna offering picturesque views of verdant valley surrounded by attractive ridges. Lofty Himalayan peaks and Deer Sanctuary is another reason for nature lovers for being here.
Didihat District Stats
- District Headquarters: Still to be announced
- Area: Yet to be updated
- Total Population: Yet to be updated
- Literacy Rate: 79%
- Language: Kumauni, Hindi
- Best Season: Mar – Jun, Sep – Dec
Places to Visit in Didihat District
- Sherakot: The temple of Sherakot is dedicated to God Malaynath (Lord Shiva). Fair is held every year at Shirakot on the day of Shivratri which attracts a large numbers of visitors.
- Askot Sanctuary: This sanctuary is not only rich in varied flora and fauna but it also affords the charming vistas of nature’s beauteousness.
- Pataal Bhuvaneshwar: Pataal Bhubaneshwar is sub-terranean shrine of Lord Shiva situated 109kms from Didihat. According to Legends, this temple is related to ‘’Pandavas’’.
- Munsyari: Munsyari offers splendid vistas of natural beauteousness as it is nestled in the snow capped peaks of the Himalayas. Munsyari is situated 38 kms from Didihat at an altitude of 2298mts above sea level. Munsiyari is the camp of the trekkers to the Milam, Ralam and Namik Glaciers.
- Askot Musk Deer Sanctuary: This sanctuary is for preserving Musk Deer. Many species of high altitude birds and mammals like jungle cat, leopard and brown bear are found here.
- Himalayan Peaks View: Panchachuli and Trishuli lies in Himalayan Kumaun region offering magical beauty that enchans every traveler.
How to reach Didihat
- By Air: The nearest airport to Didihat is Pantnagar Airport. Pantnagar airport is situated 229 kms from Didihat.
- By Rail: The nearest railheads to Didihat are Kathgodam and Tanakpur. The distance from Tanakpur Railway station to Didihat is 198kms, and Kathgodam Railway station is situated at a distance of 195kms from Didihat. Taxis and buses are easily available from Tanakpur and Kathgodam to Didihat. Tanakpur and Kathgodam are well connected by railway networks with major destinations of India.
- By Road: Didihat is well connected by motorable roads with major destinations of Uttarakhand and northern India. Buses from ISBT Anand Vihar are available to Champawat, Almora, Tanakpur, Haldwani and many other destinations from where you can easily hire a local cab to reach Didihat. Taxis and buses are easily available to Didihat from major destinations of Kumaon region.