Other than this, Kotdwar region offers wonderful opportunities for trekking, climbing and other assorted activities. Kotdwara is located at the foothills of the Shivaliks at a distance of 101 kms from Pauri. It is situated at a height of 395m above sea level. Kotdwara literally means Gateway to Garhwal.
Kotdwar District Stats
- District Headquarters: Still to be announced
- Area: Yet to be updated
- Latitude: 29° 74′ N
- Longitude: 78° 51′ E
- Total Population: Yet to be updated
- Literacy Rate: Yet to be updated
- Languages: Garhwali, Hindi
- Best Season: Mar – Jun, Sep – Dec
Places to Visit in Kotdwar District
- Siddhbali Temple: The residing deity of Sidhbali Temple is Lord Hanuman. Siddhbali temple holds enormous religious importance amongst the people of Uttarakhand and especially with the people living in Kotdwar district. Siddhbali temple is situated on the edge of the mountain 2km from Kotdwara.
- Durga Devi Temple: Durga Devi temple is dedicated to Goddess Durga. Durga Devi temple is situated 15kms from Kotdwara and a small seasonal stream is flowing from below the temple.
- Kanvashram: Kanvashram is an ancient ashram of Karnav Rishi situated 12km from Kotdwar on the banks of Malini River.
- Lansdowne: Lansdowne is one of the quietest hill stations of India and is popular since Britishers came to India. Lansdowne is located 40kms from Kotdwara. Lansdowne is a Cantonment area and therefore there are limited hotels at this place.
- Tarkeshwar Mahadev: This place is named for the temple Tarkeshwar Mahadev dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is an ideal place for those who wish to seek solace in the lap of nature.
How to reach Kotdwar
- By Air: Jolly Grant Airport is the nearest Airport to Kotdwara situated at a distance of 110kms. Jolly Grant Airport is well connected to Delhi with daily flights. Kotdwar is well connected by motorable roads with Jolly Grant Airport. Taxis are available from Jolly Grant Airport to Kotdwar.
- By Rail: Kotdwara is well connected by railway networks with major cities of India. Kotdwar is well connected with railway network as this place is the gateway to the hills of the Garhwal region. There are regular trains running to Kotdwar from major destinations of north India.
- By Road: Kotdwara is well connected by motorable roads with major destinations of Uttarakhand state. Buses to Kotdwar are easily available from ISBT Kashmiri Gate. Buses and Taxis to Kotdwar are available from major destinations of Uttarakhand state. Kotdwara is connected with National Highway 119.