Jim Corbett National Park is another reason beside magical Himalayan peaks and scenic lakes to visit here. Sherwood School, St. Josephs’, Kumaon University, ARIES (State Observatory) are some of the top educational institutions within city limits. Snowfall in winters, Yachting, Boating and Trekking also attracts visitors.
Nainital District Stats
- District Headquarters: Nainital
- Area: 3853 sq km
- Total Population: 9,55,128
- Literacy Rate: 79.60%
- Altitude: 2084 m
- Languages: Kumaoni, Hindi, Garhwali
- Best Season: Mar – Jun
Places to Visit in Nainital
- Naini Lake: The eye (naina) shaped lake surrounded by lush hills is named after Goddess Naini and is the icon of Nainital. According to legends, the lake was formed when the eye of Goddess Sati fell here, while Lord Shiva was carrying her body.
- Naina Peak (6 kms): Popular picnic spot at a height of 2,610 metres. Breathtaking view of the Himalayas and entire lake region.
- Hanumangarhi (3.2 kms): Pilgrim site and spectacular sun-set views.
- Land’s End: It offers splendid view from altitude of 2118 meters of neighboring hills and Khurpatal Lake.
- Khurpa Tal (5 kms): The lake on Nainital – Ramnagar road is an angler’s delight.
- Bhowali (11 kms): Health resort and orchard country.
- Bhimtal : Bhimtal is a serene scenic lake resort just 22 km from Nainital
- Mukteshwar (50 kms): This small hill station amidst thick wooded forest affords majestic view of the Himalayas. Nearby is a stone hole of Chauli Ki Jali, dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Naukuchia Tal (26 kms): A lake with nine corners. Migratory birds flock to the lake. Good boating and fishing spot.
- SatTal (20 kms): Lake Resort as an Island. You have to reach by Boat to it.
- Jeolikot (18 kms): Health resort and bee-keeping centre.
- Kilbury (10 kms): It is a part of a forest reserve and is rich in flora and birdlife.
- RamNagar: This important town of the region is located on the banks of river Kosi. Ramnagar is the headquarters of ‘Project Tiger’ and famous Corbett National Park is just 50 kms from here.
- Corbett National Park: The magnificent park established way back in 1936, is one of the best known sanctuaries of India. It is named after Jim Corbett, the famous hunter author and conservator.
- Kaladhungi (81 kms) is known for Corbett’s Museum, dedicated to the great hunter.
- Haldwani : Haldwani is one of the biggest business center of Uttarakhand especially Kumaon. It connects the Kumaon region with Railway lines. It is also emerging as the IT hub of Uttarakhand.
How to reach Nainital
- By Air: The nearest airport for Nainital is Pantnagar (71 kms).
- By Rail: Kathgodam is the nearest railway station, which is 35 km away from Nainital connecting Delhi (Ranikhet Exp), Lucknow (Bagh Exp) and Bareilly (Bagh Exp) directly with Kathgoam by rail.
- By Road: Nainital is well connected by road. Agra (403 kms), Almora (64 kms), Bareilly (140 kms), Dehradun (387 kms), Delhi (326 kms), Haridwar (310 kms) and Kausani (117 kms)