Udham Singh Nagar district was carved out of Nainital district in October 1995 and was named after Saheed Udham Singh, a great freedom fighter, who killed General Dyer and took revenge for the Jalianwala Bagh massacre. The district is also called as the ‘Gateway to Kumaon hills’. There are three main sub-divisions – Rudrapur, Kashipur and Khatima; four tehsils Kashipur, Kichha, Khatima, Sitarganj and two sub-tehsils – Bajpur and Gadarpur.
There are many old monuments surviving in towns and far villages. District is fully surrounded by hills, excellent scenery and outdoor activities are also available to do. The prosperous district is endowed with a very fertile land. Agriculture is the mainstay and there are several agriculture related activities and industries located here. Udham Singh Nagar district is also noted for communal harmony and brotherhood. The district is a melting pot of different cultures, religions and life styles.
Udham Singh Nagar District Stats
- District Headquarters: Rudrapur
- Area: 2912 sq km
- Total Population: 16,48,367
- Literacy Rate: 65.76%
- Languages: Kumaoni, Hindi, Garhwali
- Best Season: Mar – Jun
Places to Visit in Udham Singh Nagar
- Rudrapur: Rudrapur is the Headquarter of the Udham Singh Nagar district.
- Atariya Temple: The famous shrine of Goddess Atariya is 2 kms. from the bus stand off Rudrapur – Haldwani route. A 10 day fair is held here during the sacred Navratras. Large number of devotees visits the shrine on this occasion.
- Nanak Matta (56 kms.) : This important Sikh pilgrim centre lies on the Rudrapur-Tanakpur route. It is believed that Guru Nanak, the first Sikh Guru visited here. Thousands of pilgrims come here throughout the year.
- Kashipur: The historical and industrial town is named after Kashinath Adhikari, one of the officers of the Chand rulers of Kumaon, who founded the present town.
- Chaiti Devi Temple: It is 2.5 kms. from Kashipur bJJS stand on the Kashipur-Bajpur route. A large fair is held during the ‘Navratras’ and thousands of devotees visit the shrine. Giri Sarovar : The charming lake is about 2 kms. from Kashipur bus stand on the Kashipur – Ramnagar route. It is a beautiful picnic spot. There are also hotels and Tourist Rest House over here.
- Pantnagar: Pantnagar is synonymous with Gobind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology. It is the first university in India to blend technology with agriculture.
How to reach Udham Singh Nagar
- By Air: Nearest Airport is Pantnagar ( 11 km)
- By Rail: Udham Singh Nagar (Rudrapur) is well connected to Delhi, Lucknow and Kolkata by direct broad gauge line.
- By Road: Udham Singh. Nagar (Rudrapur) is well connected to important towns & cities of the country and nearby area.