History of New Tehri
Tehri Garhwal was ruled by the Parmar (Shah) Dynasty. In 1803, the Gurkhas invaded Garhwal which was soon followed by the British Rule. The East India Company then merged Kumaon, Dehradun, and east Garhwal into the British Empire, whilst transferring the authority of west Garhwal to Sudarshan Shah that came to be known as Tehri Riyasat. King Sudarshan Shah made Tehri as his capital and their dynasty ruled the region from 1815 to 1949.
In 1947 when India got its Independence, the people of Tehri Riyasat (Tehri State) started opposing the monarchical rule. Consequently, Manvendra Shah, the 60th king of Pawar Vansh accepted the jurisdiction of the Indian government. In August 1949, Tehri Riyasat was merged with Uttar Pradesh and a new district called Rudraprayag was declared. Later on February 24, 1960, the state government separated one of its tehsils and introduced a new district called Uttarkashi.