Nainital Zoo is one of the best attraction for wildlife lovers in Nainital. Officially named as Bharat Ratna Pt. Govind Ballabh Pant High Altitude Zoo Nainital, this well maintained zoo is the single zoo in entire Uttarakhand state.
Covering a small green area of 4.693 Hectares, Nainital Zoo is the home of numerous endangered species, many of which are adopted by people and animal organizations. This high altitude zoo is located at an height of 2100 mtrs which makes this zoo a favourable place for many animals and birds. Locally called as 'Sher ka Danda', Nainital Zoo is located at hill slope in Nainital.
About Nainital Zoo
Managed by The Bharat Ratna Pandit Govind Ballabh Pant High Altitude Zoo Management Society Nainital, Nainital zoo maintenance funds comes from the entry fees. This zoo was established in 1984 and open for visitors from 1st June of 1995. Maintaining biodiversity, conservation and protection of wildlife are the main objective of Nainital Zoo management.
Some of the wildlife species in Nainital Zoo are:
- Himalayan Black Bear, Himalayan Martin, Himalayan Civet
- Steppe Eagle, Hill Partridge
- Tibetan Wolf, Japanese Macaque
- Sambar, Barking Dear, Goral
- Lady Amherst Pheasant, Silver Pheasant, Khalij Pheasant, Silver Golden Pheasant, Cheer Pheasant, Bornean Fireback Pheasant, Linneated Kalij Pheasant, Edwards Pheasant
- White Pea Fowl, Red Jungle Fowl
- Leopard, Royal Bengal Tiger
- Rose Ringed Parakeet, Blossom Headed Parakeet
Nainital Zoo Programmes and Events
Nainital Zoo organizes various outreach programmes involving children, students, local peoples and visitors to create awareness towards wildlife conservation on different forest and wildlife occasions, such as:
- World Environment Day on 5th June
- Ozone Layer Conservation Day on 16th September
- Wild Life Week during 1st to 7th October
Various activities like Zoo Visit, Quizzing, Painting and Debate Competition etc. are organized for the students. The winners are honored and given prizes by a dignitary.
Location of Nainital Zoo
Nainital Zoo is located in Sher ka Danda, Just 2 Kms from Tallital Bus Stand. You can view its location on Google Map below.
How to Reach Nainital Zoo
Nainital Zoo is well connected by road and located at 2 km from Tallital Bus Station. Private vehicle are prohibited in Naintal Zoo and one can reach at the zoo by Sharing Jeep at Rs 30/- per person available from Mall Road. A small trek to the Nainital zoo is also a best option.
Zoo Shuttle Service: Now you can also reach through Zoo shuttle service which is running from Tallilal boat stand and Mallital infront of SBI.
Read How to Reach guide for Nainital.