The Govind Wildlife Sanctuary is located in the Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand. Established in 1955 the sanctury covers an area of 958 sq km and includes mountains like Swarg Rohini, Black Peak and Bandarpunch.The altitude at the park ranges from the average elavation of 1400mts to an astonishing 6323mts and consists of Chirpine, scrub tropical Euphorbia scrub and oak species.
Apart from the sanctuary and wildlife, the place is a popular tourist destination, mainly because of the beauty of its snow-clad peaks and glaciers. Govind Wildlife Sanctuary attracts many trekkers and the most popular of th etreks being the lush green Har-ki-Dun valley trek.
Govind Wildlife Sanctuary Travel Destination
Tourists also frequent the Har-ki-dun Forest Rest house, known for its location amidst a valley of wild flowers. The forest rest houses of Naitwar, Taluka and Osla are en-route to Hari-ki-dun and are worthy attractions in their own right.
The wide variety of wildlife animal species that live here includes Himalayan black bears, tahr, serow, monal, snow leopard, brown bears, trogopan, chir, bharal, musk deer, koklas, kaleej pheasants, chukor, the bearded vulture, the black eagle, the gold eagle, Himalayan snow cock and many others.
The Ruinsara catchment has been an important area for high altitude expedition to peaks like block Peak and Banderpunch. Harki Doon, Ruinsaratal, Deokyara, Kedarkantha and Bhratsar are important places of attraction for the tourists. Swargarohini, Black peak and Banderpunch are the important peaks in the area.
Govind Wildlife Sanctuary Popular treks
- Sankri - Talika - Osla - Har ki Doon Trek : 38 kms
- Sankri - Talika - Osla - Ruinsara Tal Trek: 40 kms
- Naitwar - Himri - Droni - Rupin Pass - Sangla Trek: 60 kms
- Ruinsara Tal - Yamunotri Trek (High altitude difficult trek): 20 kms
Govind Wildlife Sanctuary Travel Information
- Altitude: Between 1,300 to 6,323 m.
- Area: 953 sq km.
Best time to visit: April - June and September - November
Note: The sanctuary receives heavy rainfall and hence it should be avoided during monsoons.
Entry fees and other charges of Govind Wildlife Sanctuary
Govind Wildlife Sanctuary charges a minimal amount as entry fee and some additional charges for camera and video cameras. Please contact the park officials for more details as the fees are subject to change and are charged as per the season.
Govind Wildlife Sanctuary Information Centre
Govind Pashu Vihar Sanctuary,
Divisional Forest Officer,
Tons Forest Division,
- Govind Pashu Vihar Wildlife Sanctuary is home to many endangered species of flora and fauna. Be a responsible tourist and abide by the guidelines outlined by the forest authorities.
- Best time to visit the wildlife sanctuary is from April- June and then from September to November.
- Travelling to the hills in monsoon is discouraged as the weather is unpredictable during this time. The roads tend to get slippery and the region is prone to unexpected landslides, cloudbursts and road blocks.
Govind Wildlife Sanctuary is famous for?
Govind Wildlife Sanctuary is famous among tourist as Trekking and wildlife.
Govind Wildlife Sanctuary is popular destination for following activities/ interests - Adventure, Base Camp (Trek), Gurudwara, Helipads, National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries, Trekking, Wildlife Tourism.