One of the most popular winter treks in Uttarakhand, Kedarkantha Trek is a trekker’s delight and rookie’s rite of passage due to its relative ease. Covered in sparkling snow, this trek offers breathtaking view of the majestic Himalayan peaks. It also offers trekkers a unique opportunity to experience the life in the remotest of villages in dead winter! Even the drive to the Sankri Village, which is the starting point of the trek is soul-stirring with amazing views.
Suggested Kedarkantha Trekking Itinerary
Day 1: Dehradun – Sankri (200 km / 8 hours)
Reach at Dehradun and you will be picked up for your destination to Sankri. The drive to Sankri will be a memorable one of most enchanting views. Overnight stay will be at the tents at Sankri.
Day 2: Sankri – Juda Ka Talab (4km)
The trek commences today as we make ascent to Juda Ka Talab. The trail to Juda Ka Talab goes through the beautiful forest of oak, birch & deodar trees. Overnight stay will be at tents.
Day 3: Juda ka Talab – Kedarkantha Base Camp (4km)
Post breakfast, we start our trek to Kedarkantha Base Camp which will take around 4 hours. Enjoy the enchanting view while sipping a hot beverage and lunch. Overnight stay will be at the tents.
Day 4: Kedarkantha Base Camp – Summit – Kedarkantha Base Camp
We start early in the morning to reach the summit of a peak. It will take approximately two hours to scale the summit. Enjoy the panoramic view from the top and try to absorb it all. We descend back to the base camp. Overnight stay will be at the tents.
Day 5: Kedarkantha Base Camp – Sankri
Today we bid adieu to the majestic Kedarkantha and trek back towards Sankri via Hargaon trekking through gorgeous pine forests and view the famed Har Ki Dun valley.
Day 6: Sankri – Dehradun
Drive back to Dehradun to catch your train or bus to Delhi taking with you the fond memories of the Kedarkantha Trek.
How to reach Kedarkantha
For Kedarkantha Trek, one has to reach the quaint village of Sankri which is located 200 km from Dehradun. So, Dehradun, which is at a distance of 248 kms from Delhi, is the rendezvous point. Once you reach Sankri, you can start your trek to Kedarkantha. There are various modes of transportations that are available to reach Dehradun:
- By Road: Dehradun is well connected with major northern cities via motorable roads. There are various bus services available from Delhi to Dehradun. One can opt for semi-deluxe, deluxe and AC Volvo as per their needs. In addition to that, Dehradun is connected with Delhi by buses on a regular basis from Kashmere Gate ISBT.
- By Rail: The Dehradun Railway Station is well-connected with various major Indian cities like Delhi, Lucknow and Kolkata etc. The frequency of trains to Dehradun is quite high as it is the gateway to the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand.
- By Air: Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun offers daily connectivity with New Delhi and other major Indian cities as well.
- Kedarkantha is an easy to moderate difficulty-level trek and thus a perfect trek for amateur trekkers or novice adventurers trekking for the first time.
- Explore the vast remote wilderness in the company of experienced professionals or certified tour guides only. With a vast experience under their belt, they would know how to tackle any adversity.
- Trekking in monsoon season should be generally avoided, especially by novice trekkers, as the region sees incessant rains which could lead to cloudbursts, landslides and roadblocks.
- Make sure to take a good camera with you as there will be vast opportunities to click photographs of snow clad Himalayan peaks and verdant valleys. The dark, clear skies at Kedarkantha are also perfect for astro photography and capturing the Milky Way.
Kedarkantha is famous for?
Kedarkantha is famous among tourist as Trekking.
Kedarkantha is recommended destination for Corporates, Couples, Foreigners, Groups, Solo.
Kedarkantha is popular destination for following activities/ interests - Adventure, Christmas and New Year, Emerging Destinations, Meadows, Skiing, Trekking.